Heads or representatives from the affiliated institutions serve on the Board of COSTECH, which is commonly known as the Commission. Members of the Commission also include professors from national universities and policy makers from Ministries of both Union and Zanzibar Government.
The Commissioners are triennially appointed by the Minister of the parent Ministry – the MCST and the Chairperson of the Commission is a Presidential appointee. Some of the Commission members constitute an Executive Committee, which is a statutory organ of the Commission to which the Commission can delegate, any of its functions. As the governing authority of COSTECH, the Commission gives broad directives and guidelines to the Secretariat and its various R&D Advisory Committees.
The composition of the Commission has members representing all sectors of the economy, Deans/Directors of faculties and institutes that deal with R&D activities and representatives from Ministries of both the Union Government and Government of Zanzibar that directly affect R&D activities in the country. Thus all key national economic sectors, which include: agriculture and livestock, public health, forestry, fisheries, marine sciences, minerals, industry and energy and wildlife are represented.
Currently the Chairperson of the Commission is Prof. Honoratus Abraham Makobo.
The current Commission composition is as follows:
1. Prof. Honoratus Abraham Maboko - Chairman
2. Dr. Nebbo Mwina – Vice Chairperson , Director of Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism.
3. Mr. Augustino Likwelile – Member - Economist at Ministry of Industry and Trade.
4. Dr. Kiddo Mtunda – Member – Officer incharge at Kibaha Sugarcane Research Institute.
5. Dr. Rahma Mahfoudh – Member - Commisioner at Zanzibar Planning Commission.
6. Dr. Lugano Wilson – Member - Principal Researcher at TIRDO.
7. Dr. Kokuberwa Mollel – Member – Admission Director at TCU.
8. Eng. Alley Mwakiborwa – Member - Cooporate Affairs Manager at Uranex Tanzania.