Major objectives of the Directorate have been to:
- Appraise Research and Development (R&D) activities undertaken by R&D Institutions
- Establish effective linkages between R&D Institutions with the view of sharing available resources and improving the quality of R&D output
- Assists scientists establish close links with other scientists working on similar aspects of research thus encouraging collaboration and co-operation
- Sensitize entrepreneurs and other research beneficiaries towards supporting R&D activities and utilization of research results
- Documentation of Research and Development activities by affiliated Institutions
- Act as a national research registry
- Administer the NFAST through technical R&D Committees to work out research agendas
- Review the role and effective of R&D Advisory Committees in the light of co-ordinating and monitoring research.
Other duties undertaken by the Directorate include:
- Funding and Supporting dissemination of R&D activities
- Foster collaboration with regional and international organizations.